This colliery was sunk in 1867 by the Clay
Cross colliery company as their Number Seven colliery, closing in on the 12
October 1962 . After ninety five years of production. The colliery originally
employing 320 men and boys, 200 of which worked at the coal face. In 1896 the colliery employed 421 underground
and 96 surface workers. The manager was Mr. W.B.M. Jackson and the under-manager
was Mr. A Heslington. At this time the colliery was working the Tupton and
Following Nationalisation in 1947, it became a part of the National Coal Board No1 Area which was managed by Mr. W.V. Sheppard, Area General Manager. The colliery was inspected in 1948 and the inspectors' records show that the colliery was managed by Mr. S.C. Carter with Mr. F. Brown taking the post of under-manager. It was working the Tupton seam at this stage with a workforce of 591 underground and 144 surface workers. Closing on 12 October 1962, it employed 420 men.
The Derbyshire Times reports of the disaster, DT-1 to DT-4.
The Times, London carried reports on the disaster, as per date.
Below the monument is the inscription. The monument was erected at the cemetery originally, the weeping lady was on a stone column which has been removed for the safety of the public.
This monument is in memory of the forty five men and boys who lost their lives in an explosion at Park House Pit Clay Cross November 7th 1882 and was erected by their fellow workmen and the public 1884